Services / Body Surgery /
Most men and women try to lose weight at some point in their lives. Genetics, lack of exercise, and a diet high in fatty, processed foods can cause those extra pounds to pile up, sometimes faster than you even realize.
Significant weight loss is a challenge. Some people are able to make remarkable changes through diet, exercise, bariatric and other forms of weight loss surgery, or some combination of options. However you reached this point in your journey, you should be very proud!
Unfortunately, major weight loss often has drawbacks in the form of saggy excess skin and stubborn deposits of fat you just can’t shake. If you are struggling with these “side effects” of weight loss, board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Jason Leedy can help. Please call 440-340-3734 to schedule your initial consultation at Cleveland Plastic Surgery Institute.
What Is Body Lift Surgery?
Body contouring procedures are intended to sculpt portions of the body into an attractive, toned shape. A body lift may involve one or more of these procedures, performed with the principal goal of reducing the surplus skin that is left unsupported when you burn fat and lose weight.
Some of the areas that commonly have excess skin and persistent pockets of fat, even after weight loss, include:
- The breasts
- The arms
- The back
- The stomach
- The waist
- The buttocks
The body lift is known by a number of different names, from post-bariatric body contouring to excess skin removal surgery. Respectively, these terms refer more to the method by which you achieved weight loss, and the unwanted side effects of that journey.
Although weight loss patients may share the goal of better health and a better body, the steps it takes to reach those goals are unique to you. Dr. Leedy recognizes the importance of customization when performing surgery after weight loss.
What Procedures Are Included in a Body Lift?
During your consultation, Dr. Leedy makes it a point to review all of the procedure options available to you. This means non-surgical to surgical, minor tweaks to significant changes. The decision, ultimately, is yours; patients who are fully educated on their choices tend to have the most realistic expectations, and enjoy the highest levels of satisfaction with their outcomes.
Some of the procedures Dr. Leedy may discuss as part of an upper body lift include:
- Arm lift: One of the most common complaints among weight loss patients is the appearance of “wings” on the underside of the upper arms. Even very fit people have difficulty toning this portion of the arm, so it may require liposuction, excision surgery, or both to revise drooping skin and excess fat.
- Breast surgery: For women, losing weight often involves losing breast volume as well. Other women are dissatisfied with excess skin around their breasts. Dr. Leedy may recommend several different breast surgery options to achieve a bosom that enhances your new body.
- Back lift: It is not uncommon for loose skin to hang from the back after you lose a large amount of weight. Bands of fat may still persist in this region after weight loss as well. Dr. Leedy can address these issues with surgical excision, liposuction, or a combination of the two.
If your concerns after weight loss primarily consist of issues at or below the rib cage, a lower body lift may be right for you. Also known as belt lipoectomy, procedures in a lower body lift may include:
- Lipoabdominoplasty: It is not uncommon for patients who have completed weight loss regimens or procedures to require surgery for the midsection. By combining tummy tuck surgery with liposuction around the full circumference of the trunk, Dr. Leedy can help you achieve a trimmer physique from all 360 degrees.
- Butt lift: Some patients experience sagging in the buttocks as they lose weight. Butt lift surgery elevates your posterior into a firm position that enhances the new shape of your body.
- Thigh lift: Fat on the inner and outer thighs is a common complaint among even very thin patients. When you lose weight, stubborn thigh fat often doesn’t respond. With a thigh lift, Dr. Leedy can remove the extra fat and contour the thighs so you can look good in shorts, bathing suits, and more.
Bear in mind that the principal purpose of body lift surgery is to remove excess skin after you have lost weight. Although each of the procedures above may entail some removal of fat, that is not the primary purpose; you should be nearing the completion of your journey with weight loss and/or bariatric surgery before undergoing a body lift.
Why Choose Cleveland Plastic Surgery Institute
Dr. Leedy has been performing body contouring and body lift procedures for patients in the Cleveland area for 15 years. He has extensive experience with a wide variety of skin removal procedures for both men and women on the verge of achieving their final body transformation.
In addition to performing surgery, Dr. Leedy brings his experience to the local community. The Bariatric Surgery Center at St. Vincent Charity Medical Center is one of the leading institutions for weight loss surgery in northeastern Ohio. Once a year, Dr. Leedy gives a talk on the options bariatric surgery patients have after their weight-loss procedure.
Should you decide on a body lift, procedures at Cleveland Plastic Surgery Institute are performed in a safe, well-appointed on-site surgical facility that is accredited by The Joint Commission. Dr. Leedy has helped male and female patients alike achieve their optimal shapes after weight loss.
Schedule Your Body Lift Surgery Consultation Today
When you are a patient of Cleveland Plastic Surgery Institute, Dr. Leedy collaborates with you every step of the way to determine your optimal treatment plan. This means fully discussing your surgical and non-surgical options so you understand the different procedures available to you.
Ultimately, our goal is to help you look your best and, perhaps more importantly, feel great about yourself post-weight loss.
Get started by calling 440-340-3734 today. Dr. Leedy serves patients in Cleveland, Akron, Chagrin Falls, and other nearby areas of Ohio.